Thursday, June 22, 2006

Mendoza

Mendoza, is the second most touristy city in Argentina after Buenos Aires. It is a large city of 1 million people. I have been here since Tuesday evening.... spending 3 nights in the wonderful Lagares Hostel.... which for a meer $6 a night lets me sleep on bunk beds with several other people from around the world. This hostel is the same price as the one I paid in Córdoba but about 50 million times cleaner.... yes, me the person that is notouriously messy had a problem with cleanliness with some where.... It was so bad that I was gagging while putting on the pillow case cover.... but again what can you expect for $6 dollars a night???
In Mendoza I have been doing a ton of walking. Of course I wanted to know the city but I am too cool to pull out a map and actually look at in public.... to I checked the map before I left my hostel and knew I had to walk to Sarmiento Ave. I started walking and about 30 blocks later I was quite confused.... but still too cool too pull out the map.... I walked some more... down some other streets.... still did not find the park I was looking for. I went back to the hostel and later in the day.... after studying the map somemore.... attempted again.... I walked and walked and walked..... but could not find this street. Eventually after aimlessly wondering the city for several hours.... I accidentily stummpled upon what I was looking for.... the park. But by now it was dark and the Argentines where going crazy in the streets... because they tied in their World Cup game against Holland.... 0-0.
Yes, apparently a 0-0 tie merets thousands of people to flood to the street and create semi-riots.... semi-drunken riots with lots of fire works, drums, beer, yelling and honking. Also... all of the police are on every corner in full riot gear with guns, tear gas, whatever ready to go.... if anything goes extreamly wrong.
So.... that´s about all that´s happening right now.... I am taking a bus over to Chile tomorrow.... hopefully we will be able to pass... I have heard that there is alot of snow when crossing the Andes.... I guess I will have to see.

Until next time... PAZ!

No comments: