Saturday, December 02, 2006

Reality

It is hard to believe that every person's reality is so different. To know that people who live only 15 short miles away from you have a totally different reality. I have lived in third world countries and come to realize their reality, daily life, reaction and ways are much different than mine. But 15 short miles away from my home is like visiting a whole different world.

A reality that involves violence, death, drugs, generational poverty, gangs, pregnancy, rape, abuse, runaways, murder, hunger, disease, lack of education, lack of understanding, anger, resiliency and basic survival. Where on a daily basis a 16 and 17 year olds have to make a conscious decision. Actually a lot of decisions... that I was never forced to make at that age. So many decisions that they should not have to be making at this age. Decisions that scare me.

What makes me mad is the people from my reality. The people that do not understand nor care to understand. They just pass the blame on the families, the schools and the communities. When the blame should really be put on their shoulders. As a member of society and a member of this city; I feel the responsibility to help, to do something.

People who really do not care. People who are stuck in their content white reality need to wake up. Some day these realities will colide and maybe not in a favorable manner if nothing is done to improve their reality today.

The people from my reality are quick to critically judge the people from the other reality... but not offer help, alternatives, ideas. This is maddening. Whether black, white, brown, yellow, purple or blue; you deserve an opportunity in this country. You deserve an opportunity to succeed. An opportunity to improve your reality, your life experience. You should not be stepped on. Forgotten. Left alone to destroy yourself or others.

Maybe I'm naive and young. But I want to make a difference. I want to give them that chance they deserve. The chance I was given. Education is a right. I believe that as a society we should not make excuses but try to fix the problem. It will take many years but we have time. The problem is getting bigger not smaller. Their reality will only get worse over time.

I know I will do what I can. After spending time there I see the hope in their eyes, the enjoyment the feel, the success they can obtain in one short hour. A safe hour where most are taken out of their reality and are in a safe place whether it is to learn or just be.

So, as I sit in my safe, warm, stable reality. I can't help but wonder what people are facing in a this evening 15 miles away. What decisions are they making that are going to affect the rest of their weekend, week or possibly life?

No comments: